Sunday 26 January 2014

Nichi-Yōbi News: Week 4

January is fast moving towards its end, and there isn't long to go for this year's January in Japan (sigh...), but let's not dwell on that - there's still a lot going on for you to enjoy :)

*****
A couple of weeks ago, via The Literary Saloon, I saw a piece on Haruki Murakami by translator and academic Michael Emmerich which would be of interest to the writer's fans.  It was only when I got around to reading the article that I realised that it was actually part of a wider series, 'Chasing Murakami'Click here to see all the articles available, or feel free to move on if Mr. M's work is not to your taste ;)

*****
Another interesting translation-related piece I saw recently was from a site called J'Lit - Books from Japan.  It's one of those excellent sites that plugs away, promoting the country's literature, and one of its latest posts was on the translation of a lengthy piece of classic J-Lit, Ryotaro Shiba's Saka no ue no kumo (Clouds above the Hill).  It's a very interesting piece on the translation of a big, big book - and the rest of the site's well worth a browse too :) 

*****
One of my favourite bloggers, me. of Nihon Distractions, keeps me up to date with what's available online in J-Lit, and there was a recent post with more great (mostly) free online J-Lit links.  Click here to see what the recent collection consists of, and don't miss the links at the bottom of the page to the first two posts.

*****
As always, don't forget to check out the rest of the JiJ blog to see what you might have missed during the week.  Our latest J-Lit Giant inductee was Kenzaburo Oe (and about time too...) while this week's Golden Kin-Yōbi giveaway, courtesy of Kurodahan Press, features books by Osamu Dazai, Ivan Morris and Mieko Kanai.

That's all for this week, but before I go, I just thought I'd mention that our second readalong, of Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood, is scheduled for next Thursday (30/1).  Just to avoid confusion, this date is actually the one when everyone is *posting* their review (next time, I really need to find an alternative word to 'readalong'...).  I hope to see all your reviews then :)